Friday, August 15, 2014

Generative drawing: 7-drawing progression

This recent set of drawings uses time constraints and masks. The paper cutouts allowed me to "erase" earlier areas of the drawing and continue adding lines. This series of drawings represent about 95 minutes. The drawings were added to my flickr set: Generative Sketches

Here's a set of drawings from the middle of the series, showing the masks that erased information from the earlier drawing to make way for the later one.








Constraints:
I chose six different time durations from zero to thirty minutes, then sorted them shortest first. These times would be the allowable time limit to make a drawing.

I then chose blank paper and cut different simple shapes out of them, sometimes keeping the cutout, and sometimes keeping the window. These would be used to block out relatively random areas of the drawings. I say "relatively random" because in making some larger and smaller I had at least some idea of their effect. The new drawing would be continued from wherever the earlier one was still visible.

When the time duration would run out, I taped on the next mask, started the timer for the new limit, and drew until the next interval expired. (Not measured was my stopping every time to scan the starting point, the mask itself, the mask in place causing erasure.)

The process unfolded pretty much as I expected. Though I admit to one cheat: The last mask (for the seventh drawing) happened to be quite small and the anticipated time duration was a full 30 minutes. I simply could not pack that much drawing into the space. Or more specifically, I certainly might have tried, but the character of the drawing would have been very different from the earlier ones. And so I drew until it seemed really full but not painfully so, stopping at about 19 minutes.

Time durations:
I like the way the time duration and the mask size tend to control the density of the lines. I wasn't slavish about how much I filled the mask shape itself, and there was a fight between the way I usually spread out the lines and the way that the mask hemmed me in. But in the future I could easily make the rule that I must use the whole mask for new drawings.

Future efforts?
I want to not sort the time durations in that way; I think the drawings will be more interesting.

That's all for today.




No comments: